Knott Just Another Quote - Peace

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 31 2003 - 13:00:45 PDT

Help with my "dream" for the world (smile). Today I am thinking about Peace.

I am starting with quotes from the Art Quotes site Dawn (?) posted:
http://www.painterskeys.com/quotations.htm

Peace of mind produces right values, right values produce right thoughts.
Right thoughts produce right actions and right actions produce work which
will be a material reflection for others to see of the serenity at the
centre of it all. (Robert M. Pirsig)
Peace of mind produces right values, right values produce right thoughts.
Right thoughts produce right actions and right actions produce work which
will be a material reflection for others to see of the serenity at the
centre of it all. (Robert M. Pirsig)
If there is light in the soul, / There will be beauty in the person. / If
there is beauty in the person, / There will be harmony in the house. / If
there is harmony in the house, / There will be order in the nation. / If
there is order in the nation, / There will be peace in the world. (Chinese
Proverb)
A peace above all earthly dignities, / A still and quiet conscience.
(William Shakespeare)
The task of art is enormous. Art should cause violence to be set aside. And
it is only art that can accomplish this. (Leo N. Tolstoy)
Be at war with your vices; at peace with your neighbors, and let every new
year find you a better man (woman). (Benjamin Franklin)

From other sources --
Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of
others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of
hope. ~ Robert F. Kennedy (thanks Vivian Komando for this quote)
Everybody today seems to be in such a terrible rush; anxious for greater
developments and greater wishes and so on; so that children have very little
time for their parents; Parents have very little time for each other; and
the home begins the disruption of the peace of the world. ~ Mother Teresa
Peace, like charity, begins at home. ~ Franklin D. Roosevelt

Peace is not merely a distant goal that we seek, but a means by which we
arrive at that goal. ~ Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Complete quote: One day we must come to see that peace is not merely a
distant goal we seek, but that it is a means by which we arrive at that
goal. We must pursue peaceful ends through peaceful means. ~Dr. Martin
Luther King Jr.

Nothing can bring you peace but yourself. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

All we are saying is: give peace a chance. ~John Lennon

Imagine all the people living life in peace. You may say I'm a dreamer, but
I'm not the only one. I hope someday you'll join us, and the world will live
as one. ~John Lennon

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others. He who envies
others does not obtain peace of mind. ~Buddha

Permanent good can never be the outcome of untruth and violence. ~ Mahatma
Gandhi

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know
peace. ~ Jimi Hendrix (1942-1970) American Musician, Guitarist, Singer,
Songwriter

I saved this one for me --Ecclesiastes 3: 1-8

There are LOTS more Peace quotes out there...

Dawn got me thinking about culture - so I'll post those tomorrow.

Judy Decker - Ohio
Jdecker@woh.rr.com
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/