Re: Hey, Woody: How'd you do that? Answer

---------

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 31 2003 - 11:30:49 PDT

> I'd love to know the procedure for your
> rock art petroglyphs! pretty please?
> Deborah

Here are two examples of my 100 % sure
fire "Rock Art" projects I started my sixth
graders off with.

http://www.taospaint.com/StudentArt2000c.html

Object: to create what looks like a chunk of canyon
wall that fell down and was mounted for display.

I Used Petroglyph and Pictograph images as motivation.
For ready resources I xeroxed lots of images from
books on Petroglyphs and put them out for the kids.
They drew heavy with crayon (oil pastels are better)
on 18 x 24 Manilla paper. Lots of images all over the
paper, avoid the edges cause it gets torn off.
We painted over the images with watered down
acrylics (2 1/2 inch brushes) trying to get a colorful
rock effect. Often we scraped off the excess paint
with chunks of scrap matt board. Then we allowed it
to dry overnight before tearing the edges to create
feathered edges. Next paste the torn image onto
an 18 x 24 sheet of colored construction paper and
then tear feathered edges on the colored sheet. Finally,
glue the colored sheet to an 18 x 24 sheet of black
paper and it's ready for display. I have everyone's name
tag made up in advance because they all go on display.
                                Woody in KC

--
28 Quality Middle School Art Lessons
in powerpoint format, on one CD $15