GREAT Site - Art Sri Lanka - Masks and more

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 31 2003 - 11:18:47 PDT

(Mohan this is FYI - I hope this clears up my previous description)

Dear Art Educators,

I have heard from Mohan Daniel from Sri Lanka. He has responded to one of
our Getty posts about the site Art Sri Lanka:
http://www.artsrilanka.org/
I have this site linked on Oriental-Asian Art:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/oriental.htm

Art Sri Lanka - Excellent site on art history, Buddhist art
etc. Click on Masks - lots of images - types and meanings.
Preview the Art Today - I viewed some of the 43 Group - to see how you can
use this contemporary art with your students. I recommend the non-flash
version - but you can decide. Find out more about this educational site.
He also sent me a very thorough write up about the site (which I have
linked as well):
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/SriLanka.htm
I will feature this site on Incredible Art Department in January when I do
more Oriental sites. I spent about another hour on the site today. I have
not looked at every image.

From Mohan Daniel:
Greetings from Sri Lanka

Thank you for your comments on my web site.I
am attaching a brief write up of this site and the
objectives I hope to achieve.

An article on the masked systems of Sri Lanka is
now online. Your comments on this article would
be most welcome.

Your comments would be very valuable (email
mohan-daniel@theserendibgallery.com).

Please take the time to post your reviews (whenever you do use the site) and
I will compile and send to Mohan.

I would recommend Eugene's Sri Lanka photo site to use with Art Sri Lanka:
http://www.226-design.com/srilanka/

Masks was a popular Getty topic in June. If you missed those posts, I have
saved them and can forward them to you (ask OFF LIST Jecker@woh.rr.com). It
will be a while before I get them on the site. I need to look over all of
them again and select the best. We found lots! My page will just be a
functional page - nothing fancy. Here is one link to world masks to get you
going:
Another Face- Masks Around the World:
http://gallery.sjsu.edu/masks/menu.html

Lisa Mitchell posted a very nice Web Quest lesson that she created.
Mask Safari: Masks from Around the World:
http://www.gaston.k12.nc.us/resources/teachers/webquests/Safari/index_masks.

Judy Decker - Ohio
Jdecker@woh.rr.com
Incredible Art Department