RE: YIKES!! I got a job!

---------

From: cen_aca_dp (cen_aca_dp_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 30 2003 - 21:09:43 PDT

Congratulations! I agree with the others regarding introducing the elements &
priciples. You only have them for nine weeks, so try to incorporate more than
one element in each lesson. For example, I did a lesson with my fifth graders
last year that they loved: I set out several bottles, a teapot, bowl, mug and
they were to draw at least five, turning their papers and overlapping some
(line, space, contour line drawing). They then broke the large spaces on the
paper up with more lines and filled each segment with color & pattern using
different types of markers, gel pens, or paint pens (color, pattern,
repetition). Well, you get the idea! Also, artists make great jumping off
point, as someone already mentioned. Choose an artist you really enjoy so that
you will feel comforatable presenting for the first time. A color mixing
project is standard, unless they have had it in earlier years. I always attach
a description of our project, artist info, or even my lesson plan at times, on
to the back of their projects so that the parents get some info. The website
"Artsonia" is a good one to browse and see examples of student work. Good luck
& have fun!

Denise Pannell
Defiance, OH

>===== Original Message From Maggie White <mwhiteaz@cybertrails.com> =====
>Hi, all,
>
>In the space of one week I saw a tiny ad for an art teacher, checked out
>the school, had a formal interview Monday, and was just notified I'm in.
> That's the good news. The scary news is, it's grades 5-8. The 7-8
>graders will have had a year or two of art from the previous teacher,
>but not the 5-6ers. My question: WHAT DO I DO WITH THEM?!

---