Re: YIKES!! I got a job!

---------

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 30 2003 - 19:45:34 PDT

Maggie White wrote:
> The scary news is, it's grades 5-8. The 7-8
> graders will have had a year or two of art from the previous teacher,
> but not the 5-6ers. My question: WHAT DO I DO WITH THEM?!
>
> I think I'll have the 5-6ers for just nine weeks;

Hi Maggie,
        With the 5-6 graders, I suggest that you keep it basic, short and fun.
Sequence things around the basics (like the elements of art) and support each
lesson with the work of an artist who demonstrates the principal
clearly.
Line- Bridget Riley, Jackson Pollock and Ben Shahn
Shape- Henri Matisse and Georgia O'Keeffe
Value- George Segal, Kathe Kollwitz and Maria Martinez
Color- Henri Matisse and Paul Gauguin
Texture- Honore Daumier, Maya Lin and Vincent VanGogh
Volume- Alexander Calder and Dale Chihuly
Try to build a sequence of short lessons that build a foundation.
These will be your future 7th and 8th graders. You are building
a program. You want students who will come back with some
knowledge, skills and especially enthusiasm for art.
Forget about depth for awhile, but stress quality learning and
essential skills and concepts.
                                Enjoy the young kids, Woody in KC
From 26 years in a Middle School.

--