Re: Becky Thorton email is safe

---------

From: Carolyn Roberts (croberts18_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 30 2003 - 16:19:30 PDT

Re: Ideas for 1st day of 1st yearI'd like to reply to this message about viruses.

Please DO post to the list if you receive a list member's mail that you think may contain a virus. Please DO post to the list or me directly, if you think MY mail may have a virus. That will give me the opportunity to recheck my computer.

It doesn't matter if the email was mailed from that person's account or if someone else has gotten control of their email and sent it...I would like to know! I want to at least be aware that there is a possibility that an email may contain a virus. Even though my computer has a very good virus protection software...there's always the chance that one virus may be so new...that it may slip through.

So PLEASE...if you think someone's email may have a virus...please do not hesitate to let us know.
Carolyn Roberts

  Please don't post to the list that a list member's mail contains a virus (99% of the time it is not really from a list member). Then everyone is leery to open their mail. I think someone even announced to the list once that they got a virus email from me. Which I KNOW for a fact was not the case (I save all mail I send). Remember now that virus email somehow grabs someone's address and sends out the mail with that email address as the sender. I have even gotten some from my email address. I don't know how people find the time to create such viruses and can not imagine what kick they get from it. If you get an email from a list member that comes with an attachment - simply save that email to your desktop and run a virus scan on it. I didn't do that with the Becky one because my Mailwasher showed me it contained a virus. I tried to get Becky to answer me directly so I could ask her if there was a file I needed to see from her since the subject was the name of an artist. Three other list members sent me her email address (and I thanked them) - but unfortunately, her server bounced my mail....So... Now I have to post to the list.

  Becky, if you see this and if you sent me an attachment - please copy and paste into an email and send it to me again. I can not ask you personally since your server bounces my mail. I have had this happen with many list members. I have had servers all over the world label my mail as spam. Now I just don't let that bother me.

  Thanks Sara for asking. Just save the mail to your desktop and run a scan on it to be sure. All of the mail I have opened from Becky has had some good information.

  Sorry Becky if I caused some embarrassment - that was NOT my intention. I was intentionally called a "Human Virus" by an administrator and I did not like that one bit. I guess that must have been his mother's fault for not teaching him that name calling was wrong (smile).

  Judy