Art for the Seasons (science integration)

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 30 2003 - 15:52:45 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

A Getty list member is looking for art for the seasons of the year - a great
art/science integration idea.
Getty folks have been suggesting various images. I would like to direct your
attention to Art Image Publications, Inc. Art Prints.
http://www.artimagepublications.com/frame800x600/index.html
I really like dealing with this company. The prints aren't as large as
Shorewood prints -- but the savings is well worth the sacrifice in size (18"
x 22 3/4" - Art Image prints are already laminated - so there is more
savings). You have to order a minimum of five prints. I'd recommend ordering
ten at a time for more savings (now at $5.25 per print according to their
site). You get a complete set of information about all of their prints when
you place an order so that will help you in future years making your
decisions on what to add. I just ordered a new catalog myself today (phone
1-800-361-2598). You can save your old catalogs and make fine art pins with
the images (or laminate for fine art bonus "gifts" for the kids). I got
several old catalogs one year for a craft project for Delphos Canal Days
(kids glued them to small pieces of wood and decorated with puffy paints).
Here is a link to a chart that has listed all of their Seasons prints.
http://www.artimagepublications.com/create6aa.pdf
I'll just list a few:
Mary Casatt - Spring: Margo (use for children theme too)
Childe Hassam - Winter in Union Square (use for transportation theme too)
Claude Monet; Bridge over Pool of Water Lilies (Summer -use for garden
theme/landscape, too)
Cornelius Krieghoff - Indian Family in the Forest (Fall --use with Native
American theme, too)
Pieter Bruegel The Elder - The Harvesters (fall - good to learn about the
people of the time, too)
Vincent Van Gogh - Iris (spring - garden)
Winslow Homer - Cotton Pickers
Vincent Van Gogh - The Mulberry Tree (fall)
George Seurat - Sunday Afternoon on the Island of la Grande Jatte
Alexander Young Jackson - The Red Maple
There are LOTS more....also lots of good prints for the weather - and time
of day - oceans -

If you want to know what Shorewood has - let me know. I'll have to see if I
can find it packed away in the attic.

I would put art prints up on "back to school" bulletin boards in the halls
around various themes. I put a math one up every year (often two - one for
Escher and tessellation). My last year there was my only Words boards.

Art Image also has prints of sculptures for those looking to add to your
collections.

Judy Decker - Ohio
Jdecker@woh.rr.com
Incredible Art Department