Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Art for the Seasons (science integration)

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 30 2003 - 15:52:45 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

A Getty list member is looking for art for the seasons of the year - a great
art/science integration idea.
Getty folks have been suggesting various images. I would like to direct your
attention to Art Image Publications, Inc. Art Prints.
I really like dealing with this company. The prints aren't as large as
Shorewood prints -- but the savings is well worth the sacrifice in size (18"
x 22 3/4" - Art Image prints are already laminated - so there is more
savings). You have to order a minimum of five prints. I'd recommend ordering
ten at a time for more savings (now at $5.25 per print according to their
site). You get a complete set of information about all of their prints when
you place an order so that will help you in future years making your
decisions on what to add. I just ordered a new catalog myself today (phone
1-800-361-2598). You can save your old catalogs and make fine art pins with
the images (or laminate for fine art bonus "gifts" for the kids). I got
several old catalogs one year for a craft project for Delphos Canal Days
(kids glued them to small pieces of wood and decorated with puffy paints).
Here is a link to a chart that has listed all of their Seasons prints.
I'll just list a few:
Mary Casatt - Spring: Margo (use for children theme too)
Childe Hassam - Winter in Union Square (use for transportation theme too)
Claude Monet; Bridge over Pool of Water Lilies (Summer -use for garden
theme/landscape, too)
Cornelius Krieghoff - Indian Family in the Forest (Fall --use with Native
American theme, too)
Pieter Bruegel The Elder - The Harvesters (fall - good to learn about the
people of the time, too)
Vincent Van Gogh - Iris (spring - garden)
Winslow Homer - Cotton Pickers
Vincent Van Gogh - The Mulberry Tree (fall)
George Seurat - Sunday Afternoon on the Island of la Grande Jatte
Alexander Young Jackson - The Red Maple
There are LOTS more....also lots of good prints for the weather - and time
of day - oceans -

If you want to know what Shorewood has - let me know. I'll have to see if I
can find it packed away in the attic.

I would put art prints up on "back to school" bulletin boards in the halls
around various themes. I put a math one up every year (often two - one for
Escher and tessellation). My last year there was my only Words boards.

Art Image also has prints of sculptures for those looking to add to your

Judy Decker - Ohio
Incredible Art Department