Re: Color theory in high School

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 30 2003 - 12:35:51 PDT

Still procrastinating -- although in this age, when there is little time to
think I consider procrastinating as valuable as exercise. I can fill 24
hours a day with chores and obligations and anxiety but if
I don't take 'think time/play time" then I won't be of much use to anybody
and it's a pleasure to be able to bounce ideas on this list and I say this
with all respect... I wish there was more bouncing of ideas.
Bunki just said:
> I say this because most of my 6th graders come into my class with the basic
> knowledge of primaries and secondaries even though we have no elem. art
> teachers in our district. I imagine the core teachers in K-6th have somehow
> drilled this into them so it's almost innate. Taking them past this point
> isn't a difficult thing for them to do but when they start a lesson, they'll
> automatically revert back to pure color and no mixing without some motivation
> on my part. Sometimes even my 8th graders will surprise me by asking, "Can we
> mix colors?" Is there some little fairy out there in my classroom saying they
> can't? They certainly haven't heard a negative answer from me. They must be
> "hearing it" from SOMEWHERE...perhaps their brain or perhaps those "innate",
> drilled-into-me experiences?
>
> It would be interesting if someone would do a study about this. I think
> there's enough evidence to warrant it.

That's an interesting challenge, and I wonder why myself. Color is
elusive, we hesitate to correct the personal choices .... but I also think
there are a lot out there that don't know color. We spend a lot of time on
drawing, but color is the invitation to the visual imagery we meet in the
media. Make the wrong color choice on your website and it's a turn off. AND
the cultural implications of color choices is extremely important.

Color is one of the elements. It needs as much attention as any other
element. Often in modern art color is the form. I think it deserves
attention that is not so arbitrary. In investigating color theory today for
my curriculum, I have no trouble finding the theory. I find trouble finding
application. It's tough stuff to see and translate. I think color
observation is something that really differentiates the artist. When I think
about the works I am drawn to ---- it's a reaction to color
ooohhhhhh think I'll write a whole new plan on what art is
about........Think about it what attracts you to what you like? I think
my first response to anything is color and that's why I love Matisse

So something for all to think about......
How do you distinguish what you like and respond to
as opposed to what you think you have to teach
How do you teach what you don't like?

Patty in PA

---