Re: school sched, plan/conf. periods?

---------

From: Patty Phillips (plphillips_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 30 2003 - 08:58:44 PDT

How supportive is your union? In my district, we have a contracted number of planning minutes for all teachers. No teacher can be treated differently because of the subject she teaches, and you better believe we file grievances about stuff like this all the time.

My first year at the current school where I teach a counselor wanted me to use my planning to attend a meeting about a special ed student. She didn't ask me ahead of time, just scheduled the meeting and put a note in my mailbox. This meeting happened to be two days before grades were due, and the day of a yearbook deadline and I needed my planning time so I didn't go to the meeting. She called me and asked if I was coming and I told her no, and she threw a fit because my absence made "her" meeting illegal. I reminded her that my contracts says that I don't have to attend any meeting during my planning. There were no repercussions. In fact, our principal has much more respect for me that he does for this counselor (who has since decided counseling is not for her). Don't be afraid to speak up for yourself because nobody else will.

Patty