school schedules

---------

From: Michele Berlin (stardust606_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 30 2003 - 11:13:30 PDT

This kind of mentality ticks me off. Why do 'they' think art teachers
have any less to do than say, a math or english teacher? When I was in
North Carolina, not only did I only get 1 period of planning, but when
I finally got a lunch (after 5 classes straight) I had to do duty. In
some instances, you were expected to do a coverage for an absent
teacher, on your only planning period.
So when I got here to NYC I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Grant
it, as it stands we have to do an extra 100 minutes a week now, and the
poor math and english teachers have double periods of freshman. But, the
union insists on equality in all subjects. Here, we get two planning
periods (one is administrative), a period of uninterrupted lunch, and
nobody is to teach more than three in a row without a break.
So basically what I am trying to say here, is it is up to the state you
work in and how your strong your union is. Check out what your rights
are and talk to your union rep. I know here in NY if I had taken the
yearbook, I would be compensated for it.
One more thing, if the kids haven't started meeting yet and you find
they are making you do stuff against your contract, it is not too late
to fight it. If you sit back and accept it you will set a precedent and
make it hard for the next teacher in a similar situation to fight it.
Michele

Dcoxslipcovers@aol.com wrote:

>> I wondered what typical school MS sched. were for some of
>> you. Weve gone to an 8 period day, core teachers with 2 periods off
>> and electives with only 1, 45min
>> planning. Was at a yearbook training conf. one teacher in our
>> district says that

---