Re: Subs in Texas

---------

From: dawn stien (dawnstien_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 30 2003 - 01:17:54 PDT

To become a long term sub, all you need is a bachelors
degree. However, this may be changing due to No
Child...We had too many positions filled with
"unqualified" teachers.

With 60 hours of college credit, one can usually sub
for a daily for a rate of around $70 depending on the
district. If you remain in the same assignment for 30
days or more, the rate goes up to around $100 day
(this depends on the district.)

There are more options if he is interested in actually
being a full-time teacher. If he has a degree in a
field that has a shortage a teachers and his GPA is
over a 2.5, he can probably get an emergency permit to
teach. Another option is Alternative Certification.
He can also get a deficiency plan through a local
University and go to school and work. These will
qualify him to earn regular teacher's pay, but he
would have only 2 years to get the certificate in hand
- actually a very hard feat...

There are lots of districts around Dallas that will
have a variety of needs. Lots of districts are a
little confused by what constitutes a "qualified"
teacher under No Child Left Behind, so he should just
check out several options.

If he just wants to sub for absent teachers and not
take on the repsonsibility of being a teacher, he will
be in good shape.

Hope it works out - Dawn