first day hs advice

---------

From: Ruth Wilson (Ruth.Wilson_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 29 2003 - 10:20:21 PDT

just a clarification to what i posted about telling kids rules, etc the
1st & 2nd day
what i wrote was what i give to my kids to share with parents and keep as
their record.
i didn't clarify that i do not just lecture to them, rules, etc
i give them the syllabus, and introductory letter
i do verbally go over some things that over time seem to become a problem
tardy policy, late work policy, classroom rules, etc
this is spoonfed (about 15 minutes of class both days)
i also have found that if you state policies, be open for discussion, then
later
you do not have as many challenges. kids want to get into projects but
they also need to uderstand what is ok and what is not
the rest of the class the first 2 days i give them some sketchbook
assignments
to see where their drawing skill levels are. something drawn from looking,
something from their imagination and one is to draw all of the overused
common
symbols they see people draw (the clasic palm tree, sun with spokes, etc)
i ask them to use all their knowledge (shading, perspective, etc) it's for
me
to know where they are.
i also give them an online Howard Gardner assignment to see what their
strengths are learning style wise
http://www.bgfl.org/bgfl/muscat_notes/580pks3.htm

Ruth

---