RE: opinion on print needed... elementary appropriate ?? MC Escher Lizards

---------

From: Hillmer, Jan (hillmjan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 29 2003 - 07:19:29 PDT

Which one are we looking at? Kids love Escher! I shared Escher with my elementary kids - I bought one of his day - by -day calendars last January (on sale), pulled it apart, and laminated some of the less complex ones; handed them out and had the kids copy the one they got. There were extras so they could 'pick'. They traced around the card and copied inside the traced square. This was for our daily sketchbook assignment - about 15 min. of silent drawing or copying that I'd do each day, every day, in all of my classes, 2nd thru 5th grade. The students also had to write down his name and the title of the work - I stressed that we were copying to learn and needed to give credit to the original artist. I also did this with a calendar of Monet's works. Most days, tho, we drew actual objects.