Ideas needed for 1st year art teacher

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 28 2003 - 13:32:56 PDT

Dear Art Educators - Aloha,

Here is your chance to "Pay it Forward" - I got this request for help from
Cathy. Maybe you can help her decide which list serve to join. When you
email her with suggestions - tell her which group you belong to and give her
instructions how to join. I gave her Getty already since they have been most
active this summer. Mail suggestions to maunawili.menehune@verizon.net . I
sent her a couple replies already - but it might help her to see others feel
the same way I do.

My name is Cathy Kerch and I stumbled across your FANTASTIC website while
searching for ideas for my Art class. I am a first year Art Teacher at a
Private School that has never had a separate art program before. So, I'm
basically starting from scratch without materials, books, posters, or
anything. I've got a basic idea of what I'd like to teach working with the
National Standards for Visual Arts.

I guess my question is this: Should I stick with one theme? If so, what
would you recommend to start with my first year? I teach K&1, 5th - 8th. I
was thinking of an Ocean theme for K & 1st and with 5th -8th I was thinking
of Art Around the World, or maybe following your Yearly Plan that is posted
for 2001-2002......

Mahalo,
Cathy

(for Cathy - I hope this brings more good ideas for you. Thanks for finding
my site FANTASTIC - now helping you is the least I can do --- smile. Are you
from Hawaii? http://www.geocities.com/~olelo/shelties/mahalo-aloha.html)

Judy Decker - Ohio
Jdecker@woh.rr.com
Incredible Art Department