Re: Ideas for a Peace Project

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 28 2003 - 12:39:38 PDT

Get permission to use this song with your students (it does have the word
God in it):
http://members.tripod.com/Synergy_2/lyrics/ponearth.html

Get them talking about what peace means and how they can get peace within
themselves in dealing with their classmates/friends - their families - their
parents - their teachers etc....
Talk about how peace can start with one person and ripple out like a pebble
thrown into the water.

Do something with a universal symbol of Peace. The dove works (or even a
candle). I have a simple dove ornament lesson I can send. We made ours on a
9 x 12 tagboard. The messages for peace were written on colored photocopy
paper and fan folded - then we put it through a slit on the body - brought
the edges up and clipped together with a paper clip to form the wings. We
made these for the Peace Pole ceremony at our school and hung them in the
cafeteria. My students taught the LD students how to make them. You might
want to write letters on the wings.

I had my sixth grader make them after 9/11 when they were finished with
their assignment and waiting for tohres to catch up.

There is an excellent quote from Robert Kennedy. Vivian Komando has it at
the bottom of all of her post. Can someone find it? I'll do some looking
myself.

Judy