Re: Mosaic tiles

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 28 2003 - 06:39:39 PDT

I am so glad someone has brought up ceramic tile mosaics.....St. Charles
Church recently had some beautiful mosaic tiles murals added to the exterior
of their church (that is the church where my nephew got married). I will be
taking digital pictures of them soon. One image I want to share is a beastie
that combines several different animals. It represents the four Gospels. If
I were teaching, I would use it as a lead in to respect religions which look
toward animal spirits, respect the animals. I'll leave this message in my
Inbox to remind me to do that. I want to call the church office to get more
information on the mosaic. They also recently had all of their stain glass
windows redone - They are AWESOME. They are now the Creation Story (before
they were just geometric designs). A band of yellow connects them all
(running through each window)...kind of made me smile/chuckle - "Follow the
yellow brick road". I am sure that band of yellow has some symbolism. They
have other new-to-me art in the church too. (I taught at St. Charles
School - 1990-91).

The high school students at my school made some great mosaic tiles works
using discontinued tiles samples from a place that sells tiles. I bet you
could come up with enough for your students if you started calling around.

Judy

---