Mosaic tiles

---------

From: Grace LaForge (lagrageo_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 27 2003 - 19:49:47 PDT

 A good substitute for ceramic tiles: I have seen a very interesting
mosaic technique using foamcore sheets 3/8" or 1/4" thick. Plain sheets
are painted with various solid colors - any paint may be used (tempera,
acrylic). The solid sheets of the various colors are cut up into
roughly 1/2" to 3/4" irregular shapes on a paper cutter or using a knife
or scissors. lThe colored tiles are kept separated by color. This is a
good exercise in color mixing.

A simple picture is then drawn on a separate sheet of foam core. (Still
life, portrait, landscape.) The irregular shapes are glued down to form
background and subject matter, leaving some space between. Coat the
entire surface with gloss or matte medium to seal. Regular grout is
applied over the entire surface and pushed into the crevices between the
"tiles". The entire surface is then wiped clean (either dark and light
grout can be effective, depending upon the colors used in the mosaic).
I have begun to experiment with corrugated cardboard which also seems to
work, although might warp if the piece is larger than the 8x10" one I've
done.
    I've not had experience making small ceramic tiles for mosaic- just
individual ones approx. 6" square and larger. Grace

---