Re: High School, 1st day ideas

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 27 2003 - 10:50:20 PDT

High School, 1st day ideasI did something last year that was alot of fun. I took a poster and redrew it so it was just a black line drawing (it was something fairly simple). Draw a grid on the back, # each square 1-??? in numerical order, and cut apart. I gave each student a square when they walked in, plus markers, colored pencils, etc. They were to "finish" their square. Since nobody knew what the picture was they all just doodled and colored. I went over the syllabus, rules, etc. - I have had the majority of these kids for the past 9 years, so while I feel the need to refresh their memories I don't feel I need them looking at me. They turned in their square at the end of class. The next day they were able to see the artwork reconstructed. It makes them feel a part of the class, eases some of the tension, and is alot more fun than the same thing they get in every other class.
~*~Michal~*~
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids
  First day introductory stuff can't think of anything more boring. The kids get this every class, all day long and I'm thinking...

  I'm not going to do it.

---