Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: High School, 1st day ideas

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 27 2003 - 10:50:20 PDT

High School, 1st day ideasI did something last year that was alot of fun. I took a poster and redrew it so it was just a black line drawing (it was something fairly simple). Draw a grid on the back, # each square 1-??? in numerical order, and cut apart. I gave each student a square when they walked in, plus markers, colored pencils, etc. They were to "finish" their square. Since nobody knew what the picture was they all just doodled and colored. I went over the syllabus, rules, etc. - I have had the majority of these kids for the past 9 years, so while I feel the need to refresh their memories I don't feel I need them looking at me. They turned in their square at the end of class. The next day they were able to see the artwork reconstructed. It makes them feel a part of the class, eases some of the tension, and is alot more fun than the same thing they get in every other class.
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
  First day introductory stuff can't think of anything more boring. The kids get this every class, all day long and I'm thinking...

  I'm not going to do it.