High School, 1st day ideas

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 27 2003 - 10:12:57 PDT

First day introductory stuff can't think of anything more boring.
The kids get this every class, all day long and I'm thinking...

I'm not going to do it.

I think, instead I will surprise them with an activity, not sure what yet.
Since I teach Advanced and AP I've been considering giving them some
elementary lessons and see what they do with them. In fact, I've thought of
doing this for a whole year --- see how sophisticated they can make very
elementary lessons. I even ran this by a few kids and they said "yeah" and
started telling me the elementary projects they liked most.

So my first day is going to be play. And I'm going to share with them my
sketchbook. Since I require a sketchbook, they ought to know I keep one too.
The rules will come ---- they know the rules

Think about being a teenager, first day back at school and all day
hearing the rules...
now lets talk about how we turn kids off.

Maybe if they know I am willing to turn things backwards and upside down,
they will feel comfortable doing the same.

My first rule is Do Something different or a different way everyday
I have a really hard time saying this is what you will learn
because art is all about learning that it is any way but this is

and I have no Standards anywhere in my room
Patty

---