David's Addition to Art Teacher Mission Statement (also Drawng Tutorial CD)

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 27 2003 - 10:10:12 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

David has some revision to the Art Teacher mission statement.... I want to
hear other's input too....maybe by putting all of our heads together, we can
come up with a good goal for all art teachers around the world. I just used
"Mission Statement" because so many schools around here are using that. We
could come up with some other name for it.

The purpose of Art Education is to "prepare both teachers and students for
the wonderful journey into the world of art, as a medium for self discovery
through grounding in the fundamentals." I would also like to include
something about Life Long Learning in art...Making art meaningful in their
lives. I guess it needs some "mulling around". Not meant as a "put
down"...but I know you will not see Kincades on my son's walls....You will
not see reproductions on my son's walls. Art selected by my son will be
original fine art (and photographs - he has taken an interest in
photography).

I would like to see something added about the appreciation of the unique
qualities in what man creates and an understanding of the meaning - but I
don't know how to say it just right. Some of my favorite works of art were
not influenced by a "grounding in the fundamentals".

I know a lot of you are interested in how to better teach realistic drawing
to your students. David has a CD tutorial you might be interested in
viewing:

David Boals
"Finding Your Own Flair"
The Fundamentals of Drawing
an interactive multimedia CD tutorial.
210 Cedar st. # 10 Newport Beach CA 92663
949 400-5977
order your copy today, just click the www address below
http://www.boalsdesign.com
webmaster@boalsdesign.com

I know some of you showed interest in this when David shared it with the
list - Maybe you would like to post a review to the list?

Judy Decker - Ohio
Jdecker@woh.rr.com
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/