Knott Just Another Quote - Respect

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 27 2003 - 09:35:04 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

Respect has come up on ArtsEdNet. I'm not too good at coming up with the
right words to say, so I thought I'd use what others have said. Pick and
choose ones that are meaningful to you. One of my bulletin boards at the
start of school 2000 was RESPECT (in large cut out letters) surrounded with
famous quotes. I imagine I used some of these. If I find more later, I'll
share them. (these are not - Patty Knott recommended quotes - I will get
back to those later. Patty sent me a bunch of good ones she uses with her
students - hence the subject line).

I'm not concerned with your liking or disliking me...
All I ask is that you respect me as a human being.
- Jackie Robinson (1919-1972) US baseball player

Respect is what we owe; love, what we give.
- Philip James Bailey (1816-1902)

The secret of education lies in respecting the pupil.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)

"As we grow as unique persons,
we learn to respect the uniqueness of others."
-- Robert H. Schuller

"Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly,
disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship,
explore your thoughts about one another candidly,
work together for a common goal
and help one another achieve it."
-- Bill Bradley

"If you want to be respected, you must respect yourself."
-- Spanish Proverb
"Every human being,
of whatever origin, of whatever station, deserves respect.
We must each respect others even as we respect ourselves."
-- U Thant

"That you may retain your self-respect, it is better to displease the
people
by doing what you know is right, than to temporarily please them
by doing what you know is wrong."
-- William J. H. Boetcker

"I firmly believe that if you follow a path that interests you,
not to the exclusion of love, sensitivity, and cooperation with others,
but with the strength of conviction that you can move others by your own
efforts,
and do not make success or failure the criteria by which you live,
the chances are you'll be a person worthy of your own respect."
-- Neil Simon

"Character is the foundation stone upon which one must build to win respect.
Just as no worthy building can be erected on a weak foundation,
so no lasting reputation worthy of respect can be built on a weak
character."
-- R. C. Samsel

Self-empowerment - that's learning to respect other people's music, but
dance to your own tune as you master harmony within yourself. ~ Doc Childre

How can we do away with attitudes like this?
A man doesn't automatically get my respect. He
has to get down in the dirt and beg for it. - Jack Handey

I don't know who Jack Handey was/is - and I don't care to learn.

I'll close this with a Rev. B. F. Richer quote - from his handwritten book
of poems. I just happened to open up the book to this Poem "Myself and I".
Whatever happens, I want to be
Self respecting and conscience free.

I just wish I could more easily read his handwriting. He wrote them all out
from memory when he was 90 years old. His sermons were all in poetry - his
last one when he was 92 (he was a minister for 70 years). As I work to get
his poems on the computer, I may find more quotes to share (that don't have
to do with religion).
He had a great impact on all of our lives (my father, mother, brothers and
sister). Three of my nieces are going into a field working with troubled
youth. They are following in his footsteps. One has her masters in
psychiatry and works with youth in Indianapolis, one is finishing her senior
year studying youth ministry and one is going into the field of Christian
broadcasting.

Judy Decker - Ohio
Jdecker@woh.rr.com
Incredible Art Department