High School, 1st day ideas

---------

From: Ruth Wilson (Ruth.Wilson_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 27 2003 - 09:11:55 PDT

First day or 2 at high school ideas:
have handouts to go over on:
course description (syllabus) this is what we are going to be doing
project wise. this is what you will learn this semester. this is
what you need to bring by the end of the week (supply wise)
student expectations:
arrive on time
listen to instructions without interrupting
dealines will be posted (i use large Office Depot calendars staples on the
wall
and also on the web site
extra credit for extra work
classroom rules and consequnces (i do set these without their input buy i
keep them short & simple)
teacher expectations:
I will give you the tools and support to be successful
I will create a safe and effective learning environment where students are
treated
equally and fairly
I will not allow misbehavior which compromises the educaton of any student
I will listen and find answers for every honet question
Grading Policy
Late work policy
tardy policy
Tips for success:
attitude
care
read
pride in work
work ethics
integrity
meet deadlines
include art standards
i also have kids keep a colored folder (report type) to keep this
information in ( 3 hole punched)
they also keep class notes, critiques, rubrics in for reference
signed student / parent form to know parents have seen the above
and let them know you care and you enjoy what you teach
your enthusiasm goes a long way
sorry this is so long
still looking for elements & principles of design online resources or
project ideas

Ruth

---