Re: latework and taking it home to finish

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 27 2003 - 08:09:52 PDT

Bicyclken@aol.com wrote:

> I have used this policy for the last 8 years or so. I give the
> assignment and we go through the procedures and when I have about 2-3
> students finishing I will set a due date. The due date is the time
> all work in class will be stopped. They automatically have one week
> grace period to take it home and finish.
> This gives my hard working students time to finish and
> slow but good workers time to complete and have full credit.

This is the policy I used as well. It seemed the most fair to everyone.

> Unfinished work turned in is given no more that 65% of the points
> possible. They usually test me but if I am strong they get used to
> the routine. The
> slackers will not finish and they are graded accordingly. I tell them
> this on the first day and at the back to school night for the
> parents. I tell the parents, "Do you have the ability in your job to
> pick and choose all of your assigned tasks?" The students do not as
> well and I expect each project completed to the best of their
> ability......"

Wow, Ken, you ol' softie. I refused to grade unfinished work, unless
there was a REALLY good reason why the student couldn't finish. Usually
it would be a student who had worked hard and done a good job anyway. I
like the line you give the students and parents.

> I will give at least a C for any work no matter how
> poor, if the student tries to finish it, complete all of the
> objectives and usually a B, put some thought and try hard and it will
> be a A."

Any work turned in would usually earn what I call an "eyeball C,"
meaning, it met the minimum standards and would probably get a C when I
started actual grading. Occasionally I would accept something that on
closer examination wasn't all that good. Work that didn't meet eyeball
criteria was handed back to get it up to snuff.

Maggie

---