Re: Could you draw...?

---------

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 26 2003 - 21:12:50 PDT

>Yep folks..we forge and plow forward...but still, all this has served to
>keep the reputation I developed for my personal artistic talents and
success
>at a humble state. Everyday is a lesson in humility...and I got to believe
>God knows what He's doing.
>peace,
>Larry

just thought I'd add, rereading what I wrote earlier today (quoting
myself)...don't want people to misread and think I'm dissatisfied with being
an art teacher. Truth is...I have a gas with kids, and if you have to work
a regular job I think teaching is the best gig in town! Its a privilege
really....

I wanted in a go about it weird way to encourage those of you feeling some
pressure to do favors in your district...people do notice. People do pay
attention. Most will not recognize your talent or the time that went into
developing it...but many of us are finding ourselves in a position to keep
art as a subject in the public schools. That sense of legitimacy and
relevancy might from time to time mean being taken advantage of. Just want
you to know there are some of us out here that understand. You are not
alone.

I think though...having proven value to the district, the next course of
action is to strategize on how to emphasize that what is being taught and
what students are learning should be legitimate enough. Where
administrations and staff are focusing only on teaching to the test...that
is not easy though, is it? Leave no kid behind? hahaha...right, that can't
happen 'till there is greater insistence to regard no teacher or subject
less.

peace to you....

Larry

---