Re: latework and taking it home to finish

---------

From: Jancy & Mike Cossin (jmcossin_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 26 2003 - 20:13:22 PDT

I deduct half a letter grade per day, unless the student has come to me and discussed an extension due to unforseen circumstances or just the fact that they challenged themselves and had a more complex project. I tend to get almost all work in too. I even have a big rubber date stamp that says "Received On___________" that I can stamp on the back or on their rubric in case I can't get to the late grade stack for another day or so. Otherwise, I forget when it was turned in. :) I can then write the due date beside it when I write on the grade.
jancy

Occasm@aol.com wrote:
It's good to hear Judy and Bunki describe their feelings on latework and finishing at home. I gave a lot of leeway with latework for the same reasons judy cites despite my telling the class they had two days after a due date to hand their work in (two days on their own time, not mine and with a folder just like Judy). My problem was sooo many took advantage of this that my class critiques were short on work. It also seems harder for me to grade when I'm missing so many.
     I'm thinking this year of taking off 1/2 letter grade for every day late. Of course if the project is dynamite then I"ll make exceptions.
   It's interesting to note that by the end of the year many of my students complained about my excepting work late and many even suggested I take points off. The kids are tougher on each other than I am on them.
   Does anyone else deduct points for latework?

mike sacco ---