Re: Could you draw.....Larry

---------

From: Ann Heineman (aiheineman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 26 2003 - 13:15:12 PDT

Hi Larry,
    Thank you for your very poignant insights into your daily life as an art
educator. I found so much of what you say to be true to my career as a
teacher and artist. I am sure many on the list can relate as well.

> Then...there are the types that ask favors of you in school and the
> community that haven't the slightest inkling who you are in the eyes of the
> national and international community.

 ...or in the eyes of our students even. I always told my students that
they are my bosses, I work on their behalf!

 Larry says... I guess what I'm getting at is...I've tired of all the favors
I'm asked and expected to do,
I feel I have to be cognizant of the importance
(for the sake of my wife if anything else) to impress the importance I
provide to the district.

    Yes, however none of us should endure the cruel,humiliating remark I
received from a principal who told me, "You should be GRATEFUL that you are
being allowed to exist to decorate these pumpkins" ... for the tables at the
Teacher Appreciation Banquet. This was a task imposed one year on all the
art teachers in the district by the Board of Education. Of course I smiled
and organized the students to decorate them, but that year I quit attending
the banquets.

> all in all though...my superintendent told me two years ago I was the best
> art teacher he ever knew in his 30 years and arranged for the state
superintendent of schools to meet me last year. I received a great letter
from her which is in my personal file now.

    This is great, Larry, congratulations!

 Everyday is a lesson in humility...and I got to believe
 God knows what He's doing.
 peace,

 Larry

    And we can only hope that not too many rugs are pulled out from
underneath us as we progress through a life in teaching.

            Ann-on-y-mouse in Columbus
            Art teacher, K-5, retired

---