Project using child's name

---------

From: Deborah Bridges (dbb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 25 2003 - 17:49:10 PDT

Name Design Project
Materials: Drawing Paper (I use 12" x 18")
Medium of your choice (I have used every kind & they all work well--just
depends on time and what you have)
Large Black Marker
Rulers/Yardstick/Straight Edge
Pencil
Procedure:
Fold Paper Hotdog style in half (18") and repeat folding--Now you have a
long hotdog!
Open up and now fold Hamburger style in half (12") and repeat folding
and repeat folding again.
Open up your paper and you should have four rectangles by eight retangles
On the creases, draw straight black lines with black marker so that the
rectangles stand out. (Use ruler etc if needed)
With pencil print your name in large capital letters--one in each
rectangle. Do not skip any rectangles and keep repeating your letters
until you run out of rectangles. Large letters! Trace with black
marker. You will end with your name not completed.
Design the first letter by adding a simple color or pattern but you must
repeat the exact color for every matching letter.
Example: M I C H A E L M (I cannot draw the rectanges very quickly
so imagine them there)
                 I C H A E L M I
                 C H A E L M I C
                  H A E L M I C H
If the M rectangle is red and blue stipes, then every M will be exactly
the same red and blue stripes. ( Repitition and Pattern)
If your name is 4 or 8 letters, always add your last name letter to make
it 5 & 9.
I have also said to change double letters so that the first one is a
specific design/pattern and the second is a different design/pattern.
 Hope you can understand this. I have examples for each stage at school
and students' examples.
I then had them use this for the front and back of their art sketchbook
(annother project)
Debby

>I would like to hear about other projects you folks have done using the
>child's name. I will add a page to the site - or add onto the "About Me"
>page. Judy

---