Re: latework and taking it home to finish

---------

From: Jayna Huffines (jayna_99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 25 2003 - 14:32:55 PDT

I allow certain kids to take their work home, but they get a lecture before they take it about taking good care of it. I stay after on Tuesdays, too, so kids can catch up. As long as I get it before the grades are due, I don't count off. I tell them that sometimes it takes me longer than I planned, too, when I do a project, so I understand that we all work at different paces. What's much more frustrating are the kids who rush to finish days before you expect them to.

Bunki Kramer <bkramer@srvusd.k12.ca.us> wrote:
Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526

>> I've never cut a kid off from handing in an assignment. After a point,
>> they are on their own time to finish it as we need to move on to the
>> next project. > Linda,
>
> I'm so glad to hear you say this. My deadlines were always kinda vague,
> like so many of y'all have mentioned (when the middlin' students were
> nearing completion); even with the slackers, I hated not accepting their
> work if they finished...eventually. A parent actually called me to task
> for not enforcing deadlines more seriously; she certainly had a point,
> but I just _hated_ not accepting something someone finally finished!
> Maggie
****************************

I guess I fall into this category too. I DO set a deadline but find I'll
accept a late assignment before the grading period is ended. I figure if
they spend extra time finishing then it's icing on the cake. It doesn't seem
to get over-used so I can't complain. I won't allow unfinished work to be
done at home, though, because I learned my lesson well by getting raggedy
work turned in and good projects ruined after being crammed into a backpack.
Toodles....Bunki

---
Have a fantabulous day,
Jayna