Local Dialects was RE: Not quite a peeve...

---------

From: Kimberly Herbert (kherbert_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 25 2003 - 13:35:52 PDT

This is fun
Here are two from Texas

Q. How far is it from Houston to San Angelo?
A. Between 6 – 7 Hours depending

My Dad (a Texan to my Uncle an Islander on PEI): We are fixing to go to
Brudenell. Do you want to come?
John (very puzzled) Is something wrong with Mom’s car.

Translation We are getting ready to go

(BTW Growing up I thought Brudenell was the classiest country club in
the world. My sister was on swim team so I had been to all of the clubs
in Houston. This place had wonderful pools (if a bit cold to two kids
from Texas), horseback riding, sailing, a marina, and it just blew me
away. When I was about 10 I realized it wasn’t a club but a PROVENTIAL
PARK. If you are ever on PEI be sure to go by especially if you have a
golfer in the family. My Dad would just go to the pro shop, tell them he
was by himself and they would use him to make a fourth. He met people
from all over the world, and never had a bad group)

Kimberly
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought
without accepting it. - Aristotle