RE: participation grades????

---------

From: Kimberly Herbert (kherbert_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 25 2003 - 13:16:09 PDT

I'm being particularly sensitive about privacy because of two personal
incidents. 1) Our insurance company sent me fliers promoting one allergy
med over another ( Had been prescribed the one they were promoting had
an adverse reaction, was prescribed the second and within a month
started receiving these "info packets" promoting the first medication in
envelopes with the insurance companies logo. I complained to Human
Resources and Risk Management. I don't know if the complaint had
anything to do with it but they are no longer our insurance company.
2).I recently received an invitation to "take back the schools through
prayer" meeting. The letter was addressed to me as a teacher - and I
live in a different district, different city, and different county from
our school. They didn't just know my name and look me up in the area
directory. Someone connected to the school or district gave out my name
and address - AND I'M FURRIOUS! That said, -

I would be careful about posting grades in any form. If someone besides
the student, his/her parents/guardians, and involved staff see a child's
grades you are violating federal privacy law. I have a rubric that I
hand out for group work, project work. The kids put their names on it.
Fold it hamburger style and put their names across the back. Then each
group has a clipboard they put them on, and put the clipboard to the
side. I go around with a different color gel pen each day. As I observe
a child's I pick up rubric and make notes, fold it in half and give it
back. Anyone asking about someone's grade goes down a level in the
discipline plan so I don't have that problem. Deliberately taking or
looking at someone's rubric is a major infraction resulting in a call
home and a detention. At the end of the work period the rubrics and
handed into me and I highlight their points on each item add them up and
put them figure the grade and record it. Technically we can't figure
behavior into grades so I always include something like, LA LA5.4(A) The
student will exchange experiences, information, insights and ideas
through speaking and listening to classroom groups, and suddenly
screaming at your classmate are sticking your fingers in your ears and
humming very loudly can effect your grade, as well resulting to a trip
to the hallway with the cell phone to call your parents and arrange a
detention.

Sometimes kids tell me - My Mom won't let me serve detention. I still
call the parent and if they say they will not arrange transportation,
then I explain their child will serve lunch detention for two days. They
get an ISS tray (No chocolate milk, no deserts). If ISS is open, I ask
the aid if they can eat there, if not then they come back to my room and
eat facing the wall NO CONVERSATION. Suddenly the child is begging for
his/her parents to let them serve regular detention.

Kimberly

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought
without accepting it. - Aristotle

---