using Tyvek

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 25 2003 - 10:50:27 PDT

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526

>From: "The Austin's" <whest177@wheatstate.com>
> Just so anyone reading knows what I'm talking about, Tyvek is that paper you
> can't tear. You can get it at the post office for free - one side will say
> Priority Mail, but the other side is plain white. (Ask Bunki about how easy
> it is to get a great stash of the stuff! *L*)
*****************************

Yep. I went to the Post Office after Michal shared this tip with our altered
book group and asked the clerk for a couple of free PRIORITY MAIL envelopes
for practicing this material. He went in the back and bought out 60. All
FREE! He told me several "artsy" types had been asking for these recently.

I used it by cutting the envelope into two separate sheets and painting one
sheet with acrylic paint (like a wash). Then using the embossing (or heat)
tool, I heated the paper until it started curling and crunching up to form a
bumpy relief texture (about 1/2 the size of the original sheet). The paint
appearance changes too as the flatter parts are lighter but the folds stay
darker and it forms highlights and low lights. I used YES glue to adhere it
to my project.

It's a really interesting technique with a unique material and the price is
right! Toodles....Bunki

---