Re: Speaking of respect...

---------

Artystyc3_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Fri Jul 25 2003 - 06:05:05 PDT

In a message dated 7/24/03 11:26:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
serowland@comcast.net writes:

> This is true, Becky, but I wish teachers would not expect those answers
> (yes
> Maam, etc.) from a student in order to think they were being respectful.
> can tell by tone of voice how respectful a person is, ya know?!
>
> Idus in southern Mississippi

              Children rise to the level of respect that you have for
yourself and others.
In my opinion, a major part of the problem is that we ask ( or TRAIN) so
little of them, and that's exactly what we get. I was raised to show adults and
those in authority respect by my attitude and the way I addressed them. There is
nothing wrong with requesting that your students say" Yes, Maam" etc. I also
say the same thing to them. I treat them the way I wish to be treated. And I
expect nothing short of respectful behavior in my classroom expressed to
everyone.
They are surprised at first. But it works very well for me and I don't get
the attitudes
( more than once......) If you curse, use slang , and behave like a street
person,
it shows a lack of respect for not only those around you, but for your
yourself.
This is not unusual behavior, it is expected if your to acheive ANY position
of respect or responsibility in life. Think of those who have won your
respect? What are you willing to invest in them so that they are properly trained?
I've had them come back to me and say, " Ms. D, I love your class the best
because we can talk and don't get cut down...by anyone."
An advocate of civil behavior-Patti in Fl. , mother of three.

---