RE: due dates k-2

---------

From: cen_aca_dp (cen_aca_dp_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 24 2003 - 21:09:21 PDT

I teach young fives to fifth grade. I usually do not give a specific due date,
but I often tell them how far I expect them to be day by day based on where
the majority of the class falls. For example, "If you have not started adding
color by the end of class, you are behind and need to catch up." Also, I move
on when the majority of the class is finished and let the students come in
during their lunch recess to finish. I used to let them take projects home,
but I often got back "parent enhanced" art work. I also occasionally have
"catch-up" days (great when I have a sub!) when they may work on anything that
needs to be finished. If they are caught up, then they get a "free" day, as
long as they are doing something creative. A lot of them will volunterr to
clean the art room, which is great because we just built a new school & I want
to keep it as clean as possible.

Denise Pannell
Defiance, OH

---