RE: Speaking of respect...

---------

From: Sandra Rowland (serowland_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 24 2003 - 20:22:33 PDT

I had to answer this one! We lived in England until my son was 14, and
then moved to Birmingham, AL. Culture shock. Not only was he struggling
to understand the language (remember we are separated by a common
language!) However, one teacher was insistent that he say Yes, Ma'am,
rather than his yes, Miss. To call you teacher in England Miss is a sign
of respect. She even called me about this and was rather rude about the
situation. She did say that Jason was not saying yes, miss in a
sarcastic manner or in a disrespectful way. This is an example that
respect goes both ways. I never insist they say yes ma'am to me. One of
my most disrespectful students always said yes, ma'am and I wish he
never did!

Sandra (now in MA)

This is true, Becky, but I wish teachers would not expect those answers
(yes
Maam, etc.) from a student in order to think they were being respectful.
can tell by tone of voice how respectful a person is, ya know?!

Idus in southern Mississippi

---