Re: Kinkade and Babb

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 24 2003 - 20:06:14 PDT

artappeal wrote:

> <big snip> One more tangent, are there artists that
> we respect now who were disliked in their time for the same reasons we
> dislike Kinkade?

All my books are still in boxes after the Big Move, awaiting the custom
bookshelves, but good ol' Gombrich has a wonderful excerpt of a review
of the first Impressionist show. It is a VERY effective quotation to
use with adults, or students who are very aware of art controversies, to
show them how art we now accept readily was once very controversial.

Maggie

---