Re: Speaking of respect...

---------

From: Jacqueline Smith (jsmith_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 24 2003 - 19:36:10 PDT

This happened to me as a child when I moved from NJ to TX. I didn't know I
was supposed to say ma'am or sir after yes or no. I did say yes or no, not
naw or uhhuh or yup :)
Also, I didn't know what map colors were, where every one was going when
they said they were "goin to the show" (the movies! who would guess?) or why
people needed a toboggan when there was no snow (a knitted hat for cold
days...wouldn't have guessed that either!)
I got a "D" for a daily grade every day for a month in Social Studies for
not bringing my map colors. I now teach my students to call them colored
pencils and if a teacher asks me if I have map colors I say "no ma'am!"