Re: first week and weekly participation grades????

---------

From: Jacqueline Smith (jsmith_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 24 2003 - 19:30:30 PDT

We are prohibited in our district from assigning a grade for behavior other than using the S N and U on the citizenship part of their grade. The number grade is not supposed to reflective of the students behavior...so little Johnny can moon the teacher, get an office referral, but if he turns in his project on time, he may have an "A". We also cannot give a score below 50 on a report card or above 100.
Needless to say, many teachers have become incredibly creative with their grading rubrics! Part of mine is called Effort, which is worth 20 points. However, how many points a student may make is dependent on the amount of time (percentage of class period) a student put into his or her work. This little dig works itself into other parts of my rubric too, for completeness, following the instructions adequately, etc. Usually, a student who spends little time on their project (since he's mooning the teacher and hanging out with the principal) also tends to not follow instructions properly or complete his work. So I do give a number grade for behavior, but I do it by not breaking the rules.