Re: Will I be Arrested if I End a Sentence with a Preposition?

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 24 2003 - 19:27:59 PDT

> <snip> However, I just wanted to state that within the confines of
> this list, I don't want any of us to be judging anyone's intelligence,
> etc., based upon typos and speaking off the cuff, which is what many of
> us sound like we are doing here. WIth 60-100 emails a day that I LOVE
> reading, I don't want anyone to feel that they have to be uptight about
> editing.

I'd like to comment on this thread after sitting on my hands the last
day or two. Our messages aren't exactly in the "confines of this
list." Our messages show up on Internet searches all the time. What
must the non-teaching public think when they see sloppy grammar and bad
spelling coming from a teacher? Everyone makes typos, but personally I
see no excuse for not proofreading your message for blatant errors. I
think it just shows respect for your readers. That's how I approached
it with my elementary reading students; get your ideas down any way you
can, then proofread and correct so your audience can understand what
you're communicating. Spell checkers are so easy and quick to use
before we hit Send.

And now, one of my more recent pet peeves: people saying things like,
"The First Lady and _myself_ would like to extend our sympathies."
"Myself" can't do any such thing. Only I can only extend sympathies to
myself. Only I can buy something for myself (not, She bought it for
myself).

Maggie

---