Re: rush bottom chairs??

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 24 2003 - 19:11:36 PDT

> sharon@art-rageous.net wrote:
>
> Has anyone ever replaced a rush bottom seat in a chair? Is it
> difficult to learn how to do? <snip>

> Given what he charges, I'm wondering if it would be possible to do
> this myself, since I've got 6 chairs that should be redone.
>
> Can anyone recommend a really good book on this??

Hi, Sharon,

I purchased a book called Seat Weaving by Ricky Holdstock (Guild of
Master Craftsman Publications, ISBN #0 946819 46 7). I haven't tried
the rush weaving but the instructions seem pretty clear.

BTW, for those who commented on caning: I learned from a handout that a
local (Tucson) supplier gave me when I bought supplies. It really isn't
that hard! It seems really complicated, but the first three strands go
pretty fast. The last two strands (out of six total) are pretty
tedious, but if you're methodical you can complete a chair in about
three days. The first one I did, 20 years ago, is now ready to be
recaned. I'm perched veeerrrryy carefully on it as I type this, so my
butt doesn't fall through.

Maggie

---