Pet Peeve: Art Supply Theives!

---------

From: Jacqueline Smith (jsmith_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 24 2003 - 18:39:27 PDT

I also have this pet peeve.
Why do we have to do our lesson planning and be prepared for each day? Some
other teachers obviously don't feel the need to plan ahead.
I, however, have solved the problem at my school. I will SELL or RENT
anything in my room, excepting myself and the students (hee hee) Those poor
planners are usually so desperate for supplies they will happpily pay me for
whatever they need. I will always make a receipt if they ask. I have had
them pay in nickels before...
Also, during the summer the blasted cheerleaders and their witless leader
used to help themselves to my posterboard, markers and construction paper. I
finally, after three years, got locks installed on the cabinets in the
classroom and just hide stuff there over the summer.
What's funny is that the teachers no longer come to my room themselves. They
send some innocent student telling them to "borrow some ..whatever" and I
always have to send the kid back for money.
I sometimes feel silly for charging rent on my markers, but invariably some
will be used up or lost(?) during their outing from my room and I have to
pay for replacements. I just put the money in the activity account. I guess
I now informally own the school store. I actually rarely use construction
paper, but I like to keep some on hand for emergencies!