RE: Speaking of Restrooms....

---------

From: Kimberly Herbert (kherbert_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 24 2003 - 15:29:43 PDT

We have had a problem of vandalism in the 5th/1st grade bathrooms (the
school is sort of U shaped. We get blamed and then the administration
says that the kids can't go to the bathroom by themselves. The problem
is that the 1st/5th grade bathrooms are off the cafeteria, and at lunch
get used by all 650+ kids! I let my kids go to the bathroom when they
are doing independent work. Since I've been self-contained, I didn't
have much sympathy for the ones who waited for me to be teaching and
then need to go to the bathroom. I also had a problem with a certain set
of girls taking way to long 30 - 40 min. but I often did not have
documentation. So this year we are going to have a sign out sheet. Each
child will have their own sheet in a class binder by the door. They put
down time out circle where they are going and sign back in. This way I
have proof in the child's handwriting how long they were out of the
room.

Kimberly
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought
without accepting it. - Aristotle