Re: caring about drawing

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 24 2003 - 14:02:54 PDT

Jayna asked

> By "positions", what are you referring to? Our teaching positions????????????

I used the word position to refer to anything you might think it could mean

> Claiming that art is magic and will exist with or without us doesn't exactly
> help advocate our profession, does it? I think we need to include the
> development of skill in our curriculum, otherwise we come off as warm bodies
> with smoke and mirrors.

I'm getting old and I'm tired of advocating. The reason we need advocating
is because there are still too many art teachers out there that don't know
their stuff. AND PLEASE, THAT IS NOT DIRECTED TO ANYBODY ON THIS LIST.
All of you on this list are here because you are looking for development
and thank god we have this list to bounce around ideas.

Skill is only part of the process. I worked for many years as an
illustrator. I made very intricate detailed drawings and the only thing I
felt when I completed them was relief. Job was done, but there was no
magic. (And I made a lot of money at it) I feel magic when I pursue an
idea that has a connection for me and I'm not caring so much about the
skill. It's the idea.
There is always somebody that can make it more skillful.
But the idea people where do they fit in? how do we nurture the
ideas that all kids have and not rope them into our notions of what
is a skillful pursuit of

The magic is not at all about smoke and mirrors
The magic is about the mystery. Where did this idea I had come from? and
what is the connection to the choices I made? Art is not about skill. Art
is about Michaelangelo saying to the Pope - you want me paint stars on the
ceiling ? I have another idea and he thought he wasn't
skilled as a painter. The magic is about the cave painters that we still
can't figure out.
The magic is the opportunity without the expectations.
I'm thinking about what Judy wrote about Kindergarten lessons (and BTW
Kindergarten ain't what it used to be lots of pressure and testing
going on) But if I could rewrite the standards there would be one
that says the The student will Play

my position is off the high horse I have let go of my notions and
preconceptions

this is a very long article
but think about what is said about What creativity is not.
Creativity: Method or Magic?
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Papers/Harnad/harnad.creativity.html

prepare the mind for it

Patty