RE: "Basic Skills Forcing Cuts in Art Classes" (short)

---------

From: cen_aca_dp (cen_aca_dp_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 24 2003 - 13:54:29 PDT

This is just a start:
About four years ago, the music and art teachers in my small (2 building)
district decided to have a Spring Celebration of the Arts, which would
highlight student art work and musical performances. We had no idea what to
expect, but nearly a thousand people showed up on that first night- more than
any sporting event that year! Our superintendent was very impressed and the
arts have become very important in our district. I am very careful to make
sure that all of my 500+ elementary students have something displayed, that I
put an explaination of every project out, and that I choose many projects
which show a direct correllation to the core subjects. It is lots, and lots,
and lots of work, but well worth it. I have several parents telling me how
much they support the arts in our school.

Denise Pannell
Defiance, OH

>We can vent all we want about this. What can we DO to make people realize
>art is MOST important?
>Share your ideas.

---