Re: first week and weekly participation grades????

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 24 2003 - 13:06:53 PDT

Yes, I do the daily points every day. I print out a class list in a spread sheet for each class (our electronic grade books automatically put these in this format). I have these on a clipboard, and I wait towards the end of class. If there is a lull then I write these down, or I do them as I walk around helping kids. Once you get in the habit it doesn't take long at all. And there are some grades that are super easy. Little Johnny who slept in the corner all hour = 0 points, while Little Bobby worked his tail off the entire hour and didn't even realize anyone else was in the room = 10 pts. Those two girls worked pretty well most of the hour, but did talk quite abit = 7 pts. On really busy days I just mark the kids who lost points, so I know empty boxes equal total points. I also do roll on these sheets since we have to do roll electronically as well and I don't always have time to do this right away. I just outline the box with a line so I know when the student was absent. Oh, and I require a sketchbook drawing for each absence to make up that 10 points daily participation.
~*~Michal~*~
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

  THanks for the input....do you have a systematic (rubric of points)way of scoring them. you actually give them each a grade everyday??? I like the auto detention!!
  I will try that this year.. Wish i was seasoned as all of you sound and so
  laid back, I am working on being more relaxed, working??? a misnomer ha!
  btw, the hand book is awsome, appreciate your sharing it with all!

---