Re: Speaking of Restrooms....

---------

From: Becky Thornton (artswim_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 24 2003 - 12:41:21 PDT

Dear Idus,
I am all for manners. I had a really nice student who said the teachers
didn't like her. I was suprised! She was great in my room. She said when
she came here from "up north." Her teacher asker her something and she said
yes and the teacher said yes, what? and she said yes...the answer to the
question or something...she had no idea the teacher wanted her to say yes
maam. We have character ed at our school and all of the sixth graders have
it and know what is expected, but we have not yet conquered a way to get
everything across to "new" kids. There is only so much they or their
parents can or will read..in the midst of moving!

Becky Thornton
Arkansas
\ I have had a rough time with "Yes Maam and No Sir".
> Down south we are trained to say these in answer to an adult. But my Mom
> was from Indiana and she told me that these manners are southern and not
> needed in the Northern hemisphere.

---