Art and Science meet in the "Leo" lab....

---------

From: Jenna Freck (jennarations_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 24 2003 - 12:46:08 PDT

Hi everyone! After taking the summer 'off' to try and keep in shape and
teach tennis while in the early months of pregnancy, I'm now in the later
months and can shift my attention to the art program in our elementary
school. :) Our budget committees are meeting this summer and there have
been some encouraging developments!
Good news--we may just have a room almost dedicated to art! Some upper
grade teachers are spearheading a science lab, and we've proposed that art
and science share the space and we refer it to as the "Leo" lab...
Anyway, our challenge is to keep the arts represented in balance with the
science...we believe they will work well together.
Do any of you have a similar set-up at your school? If so, I'd love to hear
about it, and how you approached starting it. I'm an art coordinator for
the school, not a paid art teacher, however we do have an arts committee
that is working to maintain and forecast educational and financial needs for
our school. The budget for the science portion of the lab is $1000, and I
still need to find out how much of that can possibly be dedicated to art
set-up.
Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Jenna in Alameda