Re: Speaking of Restrooms....

---------

From: Donald Arcement (arcement_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 24 2003 - 12:30:30 PDT

Leah, sorry I mistook you for Judy! I don't think that all the manners are
necessary, actually. I have had a rough time with "Yes Maam and No Sir".
Down south we are trained to say these in answer to an adult. But my Mom
was from Indiana and she told me that these manners are southern and not
needed in the Northern hemisphere. She taught me plenty of good manners,
but "Yes Maam and No Sir" were not necessary. In fact I've had far too many
students who used these expressions in a sarcastic manner and I wanted to
scream. Then when you talk to their parents about disrespecting you, the
parent says "He just answered you saying 'Yes Maam'"! Anyway, I was
thinking you were serious about that!!! Ha, ha...

Idus in southern Mississippi