"Basic Skills Forcing Cuts in Art Classes" (short)

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 24 2003 - 10:32:58 PDT

This has come up on Getty - below is the condensed version.

We can vent all we want about this. What can we DO to make people realize
art is MOST important?
Share your ideas.

NEW YORK TIMES (free registration required)

"Basic Skills Forcing Cuts in Art Classes"

Under pressure to find time for the extra English and
math classes required by the New York Education
Department's new standardized curriculum, the city's
junior high schools are slashing art, music and other
electives, an unintended cost in the push to help
students master basic skills. Some schools also are
reducing foreign language, social studies and science
instruction to accommodate the curriculum, which
requires that 18 periods be dedicated to reading and
math.

Judy Decker - Ohio
Jdecker@woh.rr.com
Incredible Art Department