Re: Making papyrus paper

---------

From: Jayna Huffines (jayna_99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 24 2003 - 09:47:34 PDT

I didn't think about rotting! Thanks Tracey!

Tracey Collier <atla@mweb.co.za> wrote:
st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }
Dear Jayna and the rest of the gang

I once made paper with a group of kids from a cpecies of papyrus we grow in our gardens here. It is not the same as what they use in Egypt but near ehough. I can send you a pic of the one we used.

We peeled the hard green outer skin off first. The white pith inside remained. Then we laid it in paralel lines on a smooth piece of plastic. Then overlay with another layer at 90 degrees. Pound it with a stone to get most of the juice out and leave to dry a bit. Add on layers, each one at 90 degrees to the previous ine . About 4 or 5 will do. Leave to dry. We then ironed it. Put plain material over the paper before you irn it. We found that it did not stick very ell together so we sprinkled a bit of flour over the wet stuff to improve this.

Hope this helps

Tracey in SA

PS I think leeks will rot and do they smell BAD when they do!

Subject: Egyptian lessons and papyrus

From: Jayna Huffines <jayna_99@yahoo.com>

I am currently working with a social studies teacher on an Egyptian collaboration. We were brainstorming the other day and I would like to try papermaking to resemble papyrus. Ideas? Has anyone done this before? I wonder what material to use- I am thinking leeks would be the most similar plant. They do, however, cost 4 bucks a bunch at the grocery store here. I'm all ears!

Have a fantabulous day,

Jayna