Re: Speaking of Restrooms....

---------

From: Donald Arcement (arcement_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 24 2003 - 08:51:46 PDT

MaryB, I let kids go when they first come to class, because of the
settling-in thing...I like to get the kids contented before the nesting time
begins. If I have a 50 minute Jr.High class, I rarely let them go during
class because the time isn't there. Now if they are hard workers...they can
use the bathroom at any time. I like to use the "bathroom trip" as an
excuse to see if they have settled-in and begun their project, especially
for my 1 1/2 hour High School classes (I teach both), because it usually
encourages them to think and act on ACHIEVEMENT!!! They have always agreed
to get started, before they get to use the bathroom. If a student is
habitual, and a discipline problem, and or never cares about his/her work,
then I rarely let them go to the bathroom, if at all!!!

Idus (not Donald) in southern Mississippi (about an hour from New Orleans
going east)
P.S. Your kids are taught to say "May I use the Restroom"? How did you
accomplish this???? Please answer!!!